Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In addition to small depots serving individual railroads, the city had a wooden Union Station by the early 1900s at this site. In 1910, construction on the present Union Station began, and it opened for business in 1912 serving Frisco, Santa Fe and Texas Midland passenger trains. Segregated waiting rooms served patrons, and the railway express agency occupied the south wing. The architect is unknown, but the Prairie and Italianate style design is similar to others on the Frisco rail line. The building's dark-colored brick is complemented by lighter stone sills and lintels. The tiled, hipped roof features dormers and deep, overhanging eaves with brackets. The 77-foot tower resembles an Italian campanile, or watch tower.
Rail passenger numbers in Paris peaked during World War II due to nearby Camp Maxey, but as automobile usage increased, passenger rail travel declined. The Santa Fe ended service in 1954 and the final Frisco passenger train left Union Station in 1956, but the depot continued to serve freight operations until the late 20th century. In 1997, the Kiamichi Railroad acquired Frisco
Erected 2003 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13688.)
Location. 33° 39.602′ N, 95° 34.017′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is on West Kaufman Street south of Bonham Street (Business U.S. 82), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: West Kaufman Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central National Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Paris (approx. half a mile away); First National Bank of Paris (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Paris Fire, 1916 (approx. 0.6 miles away); John James Culbertson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lamar County, C. S. A. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lamar County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Paris Fire Department (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Regarding Union Station. Union Station was restored and now is home to the Valley of the Caddo Museum & Cultural Center, Chamber of Commerce, Economic Development Corporation and the County Genealogical Society, while the land surrounding it has become Heritage Park with an interpretive trail.
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 358 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.