Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delray Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Beach Dedication

 
 
Beach Dedication Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 2, 2016
1. Beach Dedication Marker
Inscription. Sara Gleason, Belle G. Dimick Reese and Ella M. Dimick Potter dedicated this beach to the public in 1899. In 1895 Sarah Gleason and her husbandís business partner, W.H. Hunt, sold a parcel of land containing the beach area to William S. Linton for about $10.00 an acre except for a small portion then occupied by the Orange Grove House of Refuge (see marker north of Atlantic Avenue). A mortgage from William Linton, U.S. Congressman from Michigan who was promoting a town here called Linton, secured $3,000 of the purchase price. At the end of 1895, civil engineer E. Burslem Thomson drew a plat describing the Town of Linton. The plat, filed by William Linton and the Model Land Company during 1896, contained the first dedication for public use of what is now this mile-long municipal beach. When William Linton defaulted, the mortgage was foreclosed, half to Sara Gleason and half to the heirs of W.H. Hunt, his granddaughters Belle Reese and Ella Potter. These three women filed a replat dedicating the area east of the ocean beach lots and “Ocean Road” to the public in 1899.
 
Erected 2008 by Delray Beach Historical Society and the Robert Neff Family.
 
Location. 26° 27.37′ N, 80° 3.535′ W. Marker is in Delray
Beach Dedication Marker along sidewalk on rock. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 2, 2016
2. Beach Dedication Marker along sidewalk on rock.
Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker is at the intersection of South Ocean Boulevard (State Road A1A) and Bay Street, on the right when traveling north on South Ocean Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on a rock along the sidewalk. Marker is in this post office area: Delray Beach FL 33483, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Delray Wreck (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); J. B. Evans House (about 700 feet away); Nassau Park Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Marina Historic District (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Marina Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Atlantic Avenue Crossing (approx. half a mile away); Orange Grove House of Refuge No. 3 (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delray Beach.
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement