Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greensburg in Green County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Green County Architecture Heritage History

 
 
Green County Architecture Heritage History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 31, 2016
1. Green County Architecture Heritage History Marker
Inscription. Incorporated in 1794, Greensburg, the county seat of Green County, began as Gloverís Station, a wilderness settlement in the Kentucky Territory on the Cumberland Trace, an offshoot of the Wilderness Road. From 1800 to 1840, Greensburg flourished as a center of trade and learning. At this time, Greensburg had fine cabinet makers, silversmiths, rifle makers, cigar factories, and distilleries. Hundreds of locally built flatboats, loaded with hogsheads of tobacco and other local products, floated from Greensburg down the Green River to New Orleans. Green County, formed in 1792 as the thirteenth county in the Commonwealth, had its boundaries diminished to provide land for part or all of eight other counties.

The city and county boast many Abraham Lincoln and Civil War connections: Mary Owens, one of Lincolnís first loves; William Herndon, Lincolnís law partner; Lincolnís appointee as U.S. Consul to Mexico in 1863, Reuben Creel; Mentor Graham, who after moving to Illinois became an educator of Lincoln; and Union generals, E.H. Hobson and William Ward. Other famous citizens include Father David Rice, an early Presbyterian minister, and Jane Todd Crawford, who rode on horseback to Danville where Dr. Ephraim McDowell successfully performed the worldís first successful ovariotomy on her on Christmas, 1809.

(Middle Images
Green County Architecture Heritage History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 31, 2016
2. Green County Architecture Heritage History Marker
Caption)

The Greensburg National Register Historic District is composed of 47 contributing properties, covers 15 acres, and includes “the Oldest Courthouse West of the Alleghenies” (1804), The Woodson Lewis Building (1900) and the Old Depot (1913).
 
Location. 37° 15.642′ N, 85° 30.099′ W. Marker is in Greensburg, Kentucky, in Green County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of E. Court Street and S. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the historic Greensburg Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Greensburg KY 42743, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Gen. Edward H. Hobson (a few steps from this marker); Greensburg Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); General Edward Henry Hobson (a few steps from this marker); Green Countians Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Green County, 1792 (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Early Minister (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln's Law Partner (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Home of Gen. Edward H. Hobson (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensburg.
 
More about this marker. The marker includes a map of the
Markers in Front of Historic Greensburg Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 31, 2016
3. Markers in Front of Historic Greensburg Courthouse
Greensburg Architecture Heritage History marker is on the far right
30-stop Historic Greensburg Walking Tour.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement