The Anderson House
The Historic National Road in Ohio
The Federal-style house, with its later Greek Revival-style porch, had four chimneys and eight fireplaces. On the first floor, the two rooms on the front and back of the west side (on the left side of the front door) had an opening eight feet wide. With the doors open, they were used as a large dining room. The east side rooms had a separate entrance, and were used as a bar-room. The third floor was a large dormitory which had no heat. In the 1920ís the house was converted to a tourist house.
In its nearly 200 years, this building has served as a tavern. a farmhouse, and a tourist house. The house was built around 1830 for Calvin Anderson. In 1848, the tavern was sold R.G. and P.W. Morris, who sold it n 1850 to Valentine Wilson. The 408-acre property
Erected 2015 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 56.263′ N, 83° 24.535′ W. Marker is in Lafayette, Ohio, in Madison County. Marker is on Old National Pike (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1615 Cumberland Road, London OH 43140, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Red Brick Tavern (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Molly Caren Agricultural Center (approx. 2.1 miles away); Alder Cabin (approx. 3Ĺ miles away); War Savings Stamps (approx. 4.1 miles away); First White Settlers of Madison County (approx. 4.1 miles away); Madison County World War Roll of Honor (approx. 4.1 miles away); Madison County Veteransí War Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); Plumwood Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away).
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Categories. • Agriculture • Architecture • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 17, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.