Colonial Beach in Westmoreland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
“O! say can you see…”
Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
—War of 1812 —
Experience the Trail
* Drive through rural landscapes and historic communities
* Paddle or cruise waterways where British and American troops once traveled
* Witness battles at reenactment events
* View the original Star-Spangled Banner flag and visit the house where it was made
* Hike or bike trails with stops at historic sites and scenic overlooks
* Join in commemorative events throughout the region
Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine
After a 15-hour bombardment, soldiers at Fort McHenry raised a large American flag early on September 14, 1814. That flag, signaling British retreat, inspired Francis Scott Key to pen the words that became America's national anthem, The Star-Spangled Banner.
Erected 2015 by National Park Service, US Department of Interior.
Location. 38° 10.985′ N, 76° 55.084′ W. Marker is in Colonial Beach, Virginia Touch for map. The marker is attached to the exterior wall of the George Washington Birthplace National Monument Visitor Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1732 Popes Creek Road, Colonial Beach VA 22443, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. War in the Chesapeake (here, next to this marker); Free to Fight (here, next to this marker); Explore a trail network (a few steps from this marker); George Washington Birthplace Site (a few steps from this marker); The Historic Area (within shouting distance of this marker); Popes Creek Plantation (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Washington’s Birthplace (approx. 0.2 miles away); Archeology at Popes Creek (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colonial Beach.
Also see . . .
1. Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail. Fort McHenry National Monument and Shrine (Submitted on August 22, 2016.)
2. Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail. National Park Service (Submitted on August 22, 2016.)
3. George Washington Birthplace National Monument. National Park Service (Submitted on August 22, 2016.)
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.