Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Originally a trading community dealing in pelfry and tobacco, later its economy rested on numerous industries, principally textile, operated by power developed from its numerous creeks and the Augusta Canal constructed in 1845-1846, and agricultural products from rich arable farm lands. Numerous military engagements occurred here during the Revolutionary War, during which Augusta was twice captured by the British.
During the War Between the States, the United States Arsenal surrendered to State forces without resistance, and a Confederate powder factory, said to the be the second largest then in existence, supplied
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-27.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 28.287′ N, 81° 57.702′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Greene Street near Monument St., on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. At the Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Signer's Monument (a few steps from this marker); Army National Guard (within shouting distance of this marker); General George Washington (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Medical College Building (about 500 feet away); Old Medical College (about 500 feet away); Eve (about 500 feet away); Paul Fitzsimmons Eve (about 600 feet away); First Christian Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . Richmond County, Georgia. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on July 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, Spanish-American • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary • War, World I • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,416 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.