Kinsale in Westmoreland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
“O! say can you see…”
Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
—War of 1812 —
Experience the Trail
* Drive through rural landscapes and historic communities
* Paddle or cruise waterways where British and American troops once traveled
* Witness battles at reenactment events
* View the original Star-Spangled Banner flag and visit the house where it was made
* Hike or bike trails with stops at historic sites and scenic overlooks
* Join in commemorative events throughout the region
Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine
After a 15-hour bombardment, soldiers at Fort McHenry raised a large American flag early on September 14, 1814. That flag, signaling British retreat, inspired Francis Scott Key to pen the words that became America's national anthem, The Star-Spangled Banner.
Erected 2014 by National Park Service, US Department of Interior.
Location. 38° 1.781′ N, 76° 34.728′ W. Marker is in Kinsale, Virginia Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 490 Kinsale Road, Kinsale VA 22488, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Relentless Raids (here, next to this marker); War in the Chesapeake (here, next to this marker); Historic District of Kinsale, Virginia (within shouting distance of this marker); Kinsale (approx. 1½ miles away); Northumberland County / Westmoreland County (approx. 1.6 miles away); The War of 1812 / British Attacks at Kinsale and Mundy Point (approx. 2 miles away); British Attacks at Kinsale and Muddy Point / The War of 1812 (approx. 2 miles away); War of 1812 (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kinsale.
Also see . . .
1. Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail. Fort McHenry National Monument and Shrine (Submitted on August 22, 2016.)
2. Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail. National Park Service (Submitted on August 22, 2016.)
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 136 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.