Thomas Stinson Cummins, owner of a successful dry goods store, built his home in the early 1870s on the outskirts of the growing village of Marion. The home was purchased in 1889 by Henry M. Barnhart, an inventor, and co-founder of the Marion Steam Shovel Company. In 1927, it was sold to the Schaffner- Queen firm of funeral directors and converted into a funeral home. Franklin Schaffner had previously been responsible for the funeral arrangements for President and Mrs. Warren G. Harding. A succession of businesses has maintained it as a funeral home. As of 2016, the buildimg is occupied by the Denzer-Farison-Hottinger & Snyder Funeral Home.
The home, built in the Second Empire style popular in post-Civil War design, features a Mansard roof that provided space for a ballroom with an adjacent receiving area and tea room. The attic was subsequently converted to a coffin showroom. Exterior modifications included the removal of the dome atop the octagonal tower, replacement of the original one-story columns and porch with two-story iconic columns supporting a balcony and topped with a pediment, as well as the addition of several rooms. The first floor features 12-foot ceilings, ornate chandeliers, walnut woodwork, and elaborate plasterwork. It remains one of the few examples
Erected 2016 by Marion County Historical Society The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 16- 51.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 35.348′ N, 83° 7.313′ W. Marker is in Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of East Center Street (Ohio Route 309) and Sharpless Ct, on the right when traveling west on East Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 360 East Center Street, Marion OH 43302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of Warren G. Harding (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Old Marion Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Marion County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Underground Railroad / The Marion County Trial of Bill Anderson (approx. 0.4 miles away); Norman Mattoon Thomas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jacob's Well (approx. 0.6 miles away); Marion Steam Shovel (approx. one mile away); Harding Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 284 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 22, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.