Ridge Spring in Saluda County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
the Patriotism and Valor of
a captain in the militia of the State of
South Carolina, who fell in action against
the British at Dean Swamp, Orangeburg District in 1781
and was buried in the Episcopal Graveyard
Erected 1931 by Michael Watson Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, and His Descendants.
Location. 33° 50.733′ N, 81° 39.783′ W. Marker is in Ridge Spring, South Carolina, in Saluda County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (State Highway 39) and Dubose Street, on the left when traveling east on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Church Circle, Ridge Spring SC 29129, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ridge Spring (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ridge Hill School / Faith Cabin Library (approx. half a mile away); Jones Cemetery / General James Jones (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ridge Spring Cemetery / W.H. Scarborough (approx. one mile away); Alexander Hamilton Stevens Jacob Odom House (approx. 2.6 miles away); Spann Methodist Church / Captain Clinton Ward (approx. 3.8 miles away); Lott's Tavern & Post Office (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridge Spring.
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Dean's Swamp. Maj. William Cunningham learned that British and Loyalists prisoners were being held near Dean Swamp, in two bullpens. (Submitted on April 6, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Dean's Swamp. Other names: John's Town, Salley. (Submitted on April 6, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. William Watson Family History. The history of Michael Watson's father and family. (Submitted on April 6, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,193 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on August 23, 2016, by Charla Wilson Springer of Moncks Corner, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 6, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.