The Thompson Building
Originally built by John Thompson, the first floor housed the Russell & Ramsdell Hardware Store. The second floor was especially constructed with two large skylights to accomodate [sic] the studio of a photographer by the name of Miller. The building included the largest expanse of plate glass in the city as well as an elevator. The galvanized iron cornice was imported from Milwaukee to cap the building.
In 1907 the building housed the plumbing shop of Lloyd and Smith. On Friday, March 15, a rapid and fierce fire of unknown origin gutted the basement and the first floor destroying or seriously damaging the contents. Workmen's tools and fixtures on the second floor where [sic] saved by an able fire department and volunteers who quickly brought the fire under control.
The building was re-constructed in its original form and continued to house a plumbing concern of one type or another for many years. In 1985, the building was refurbished to house an art gallery, studio and residence.
Year Built: 1883
First Owner: John Thompson
Builder: Long, Hubbell and Newson
Style: Commercial Victorian
Address: 429 River Street
Location. 44° 14.849′ N, 86° 19.507′ W. Marker is in Manistee, Michigan, in
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gardner Building (a few steps from this marker); The Lyman Building (a few steps from this marker); The Haley Block (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tunnel (within shouting distance of this marker); Pere Marquette Line Steamers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Maple Street Bridge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Furniture Factories (about 500 feet away); Improving Justice (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manistee.
Also see . . .
1. History of Manistee, Michigan. (Submitted on September 2, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Manistee Commercial National Register Historic District Buildings. (Submitted on September 2, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.