The Haley Block
The "Haley Block" was the last of a succession of buildings in this area beginning sometime prior to 1871. These buildings were built and rebuilt to house the Haley Sisters Millinery Shop. Five successive structures burned, the first being lost in the great fire of 1871. On January 1st, 1883, the shop at 419 River Street was damaged by fire along with eight other buildings. Fortunately, the building retained its facade through the blaze and the sisters were able to rebuild the store as it had been, an elaborate wood frame and brick veneer structure.
They also began construction of [a] similarly designed double business block directly west of their main store. Wisely, the new portion of the store at 421-423 River Street was constructed with walls of solid brick to lessen the impact of future fires. The sisters contracted with a Milwaukee firm to provide one ornate galvanized iron cornice for all three Italianate storefronts. The corniceline was, and today remains, Manistee's most elaborate.
The building was owned by the Haley family until the 1930's. The Haley's business was housed at 419 River Street. The initial tenant of 421 River Street was William Nungesser, an undertaker and furniture dealer. The 423 River Street segment initially was a grocery store operated by A.S. Haines. Numerous tenants subsequently occupied
The building was described as follows in the National Register nomination: "The Haley block is a fine example of High Victorian Italianate styling applied to a small-town commercial building. The two story brick building, measuring about sixty feet in width, is divided into three storefront bays, each with three double-hung, one-over-one sash balanced at the second floor level. The elaborate metal cornice over fine decorative brick corbelling presents a small name pediment at its center. Below the cornice of each bay is a narrow, raised wood decorative spandrel. Beaneath [sic] the windows rests a secondary cornice with decorative end blocks coinciding with the first floor's support piers. The storefronts are defined by these masonry piers and with Manistee-fabricated cast iron columns which frame each storefront door. A door leading to the upper story separates the west and center storefronts."
Year Built: 1883
First Owner: Ellen, Eliza and Kate Haley
Style: High Victorian Italianate
Address: 419, 421, 423 River Street
Location. 44° 14.852′ N, 86° 19.484′ W. Marker is in Manistee, Michigan, in Manistee County. Marker is on River Street west of Maple Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 419-423 River Street, Manistee MI 49660, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lyman Building (a few steps from this marker); The Thompson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gardner Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tunnel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Maple Street Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pere Marquette Line Steamers (about 300 feet away); Furniture Factories (about 400 feet away); Manistee City Library (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manistee.
Also see . . .
1. History of Manistee, Michigan. (Submitted on September 3, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Manistee Commercial National Register Historic District Buildings. (Submitted on September 3, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.