Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brandy Station in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battle of Brandy Station

Headquarters Hill

 
 
Battle of Brandy Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By T. Elizabeth Renich, September 5, 2016
1. Battle of Brandy Station Marker
Headquarters Hill
Inscription. John Strode, a prominent Revolutionary War gun manufacturer, built his manor house, Fleetwood, in the late 1700s. Strode was a friend of President Thomas Jefferson, who often stayed here when traveling between Monticello and Washington, D.C. The mansion that gave the hill its name was greatly damaged by the war, finally collapsing in the late 1800s.

Fleetwood Hill, this "Famous Plateau," was used as a headquarters platform several times. Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston first exploited Fleetwood's position overlooking the the Rappahannock River in March 1862. Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart established his headquarters here in May 1863, before the Battle of Brandy Station began on June 9. The following month, Gen. Robert E. Lee traversed the storied hill, leaving his cavalry as rear guard atop Fleetwood. That fall, Union Gen. George E. Meade's headquarters occupied Fleetwood briefly before Lee returned and camped here. During the Union winter camp of 1863-1864, the headquarters of the Army of the Potomac and the Third Corps were located on Fleetwood Hill.

"The country around Brandy Station is open, particularly suitable for a cavalry engagement. Fleetwood, the coveted hill, was the key to the entire situation, and here the fight was everywhere most fierce."
—Gen. David M. Gregg, USA

"The high hill upon which I slept the night before the battle is called Fleetwood and it is a fine military position. About noon on June 9, we had a fight for it."
—Gen. J.E.B. Stuart, CSA
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails, Civil War Trust.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 38° 30.569′ N, 77° 52.756′ W. Marker is in Brandy Station, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is on Fleetwood Heights Road (Virginia Route 685) near Stuart Lane, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brandy Station VA 22714, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandy Station.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2016, by T. Elizabeth Renich of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 92 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 5, 2016, by T. Elizabeth Renich of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement