Jacksonville in Telfair County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jacksonville was an important point on the Blackshear Trail which followed the Altamaha and Ocmulgee rivers from Darien to Fort Hawkins. Two miles away a blockhouse, one of three in the county, was built by General David Blackshear as a refuge and a house of thanksgiving.
The center of a large and wealthy plantation economy, Jacksonville was a landing for freight and passenger traffic on the river before and for some years after the War Between the States. In 1870, McRae became the County Seat.
Among the distinguished early settlers of Jacksonville were General John Coffee, soldier, pioneer surveyor, member of Congress, and General Mark Willcox, Indian fighter. Each of these men has a county in Georgia named for him. Other pioneer residents included the McRae, Clements, Hatton and Pridgen families
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 134-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 48.742′ N, 82° 58.752′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Georgia, in Telfair County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 441/319 and Georgia Route 117, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 441/319. Touch for map. Marker is located at the southwest corner of the intersection of US 441/319 and Ga 117 in Jacksonville. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville GA 31544, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Coffee Road (was approx. 3.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); World Record Bass (was approx. 4.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Cullen Boney Descendants (approx. 6.8 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,054 times since then and 62 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?