Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Friendswood in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Quaker Academy

The Very Heart of Friendswood

 

1902-1949

 
Quaker Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 8, 2016
1. Quaker Academy Marker
Inscription. As Quakers moved westward across America and the end of the 19th century, it was customary to construct an Academy to provide a site for worship and the education of their youth. Constructed by local men, using lumber they milled from trees downed in the Galveston 1900 storm, this two story structure served as their place of worship until 1949. The Academy also served as their school with all grades housed on the second floor until 1914. That year a two room schoolhouse was built across the street for grades 1-8. In 1939, all grades were moved to a new brick building on present day Spreading Oaks

In 1949, at the completion of the adjacent stone church, the Academy building was dismantled. The property became and remained part of the lawn until the very large stone addition to the church was made in 1998 on that very site.
 
Erected 2012 by Friendswood Historical Society.
 
Location. 29° 31.677′ N, 95° 12.026′ W. Marker is in Friendswood, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of West Spreading Oaks Avenue and South Friendswood Drive (Farm to Market Road 518), on the left when traveling west on West Spreading Oaks Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 S Friendswood Dr, Friendswood TX 77546, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Copied from the Quaker Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
2. Copied from the Quaker Academy Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oldest Structure Remaining (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Friendswood Postal Service (about 300 feet away); First Business (about 400 feet away); Friendswood (about 500 feet away); Friends Church Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Cecil and Frances Brown House (about 800 feet away); Fig Preserving Plant (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Home and First Family (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friendswood.
 
Also see . . .
1. From The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on September 9, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. From Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 9, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. City of Friendswood Website. (Submitted on September 9, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
4. Friendswood Historical Society. (Submitted on September 9, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
5. Friends Church. (Submitted on September 9, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationSettlements & Settlers
 
Friends Church image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 8, 2016
3. Friends Church
Friends Church image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 8, 2016
4. Friends Church
Friends Church image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 8, 2016
5. Friends Church
The marker is just left of the church in this view.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   2. submitted on October 19, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   3, 4, 5. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement