Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John James Culbertson
(March 16, 1853 - September 27, 1932)
During his southern travels, Culbertson saw the potential for profit from cottonseed oil. He moved to Paris and was instrumental in building the first Paris cotton mill about 1884. The company, Paris Oil Works, was sold to American Cotton Oil Trust in 1887, and Culbertson moved to Arkansas to manage a southern oil company plant. Four years later the Culbertsons returned to Paris, where he built a small cottonseed oil empire through the Paris Oil and Cotton Company, later known as Southland Cotton Oil Company.
Culbertson was asked to participate in a master plan for the growth of Paris in 1913. As an influential Texas financier, he was appointed to the Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Bank in Dallas when it was formed in 1914. His nationwide reputation as a cotton producer led President Woodrow Wilson to appoint him to the board that organized a bureau to oversee cotton and cottonseed products for the U. S.
After Paris was ravaged by fire in 1916, John and Emily Culbertson were among leading citizens who rebuilt the city. Held in high esteem by the people of Paris, the Culbertsons gave many public spaces, monuments and works of art to the city and several local institutions, including the Paris Public Library and the fountain of imported Carrara marble on the city's central plaza.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12008.)
Location. 33° 39.672′ N, 95° 33.408′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of North Plaza (Business U.S. 82) and West Plaza, on the left when traveling west on North Plaza. Touch for map. Located near the Culbertson Fountain he provided to the city. Marker is in this post office area: Paris TX 75460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Paris Fire, 1916 (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank of Paris (within shouting distance of this marker); Lamar County, C. S. A. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lamar County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Paris Fire Department Paris (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Cooke Buckner (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Paris (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.