Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

M Street - A Road Well Traveled

 
 
M Street - A Road Well Traveled Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 9, 2016
1. M Street - A Road Well Traveled Marker
Inscription.
M Street has always been heavily traveled. In 1795 this prompted passage of the first local speeding law, making it illegal to gallop horses on M Street. Back in 1634, things were quieter. Then, Englishman Henry Fleet wrote of finding "deer, buffalos, bear, and turkeys in abundance" in this area. Algonquin Indians sometimes made camp nearby.

In colonial times this part of M Street was known as Bridge Street, named in the English fashion after local landmarks. In 1755 the doomed British General Edward Braddock led his troops through Georgetown to fight in the French and Indian War. In 1781, during the Revolutionary War, General Lafayette's troops marched through on their way to help win the Battle of Yorktown. In 1789, George Washington stopped in route to New York for his inauguration as the nation's first president.

While Georgetown was untouched by the Revolution, it was inundated during the Civil War with Union Army troops, causing many southern sympathizers to cross the river to Virginia for the duration. The town swarmed with soldiers, wagons and artillery, which tore up the unpaved streets. Ambulances carrying the wounded to make-shift hospitals clattered by at all hours.

Some buildings remaining on M Street are among the finest examples of Revolution-era architecture in town. One of Washington's oldest
Reverse of M Street - A Road Well Traveled Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 9, 2016
2. Reverse of M Street - A Road Well Traveled Marker
Restoration of Georgetown's Call Boxes project information.
houses is the Old Stone House, just across the street. Built in 1765, it served as a residence or shop until 1953, which it was purchased by the U.S. Government. The corner house directly across was built in 1794. Street grading in the 1870s required the addition of a storey to the bottom of the building.
 
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
 
Location. 38° 54.309′ N, 77° 3.557′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of M Street, NW and 30th Street, NW, on the right when traveling east on M Street, NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Sim Lee Corner (a few steps from this marker); Ross and Getty House (within shouting distance of this marker); Nathan Loughborough's Houses (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Stone House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Georgetown and the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal (about 300 feet away); Georgetown Historic District (about 300 feet away); At All Hours (about 400 feet away); Creating a National Park (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Categories. ArchitectureRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
M Street - A Road Well Traveled Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 9, 2016
3. M Street - A Road Well Traveled Marker
A view to the northwest across M Street.
M Street - A Road Well Traveled Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 9, 2016
4. M Street - A Road Well Traveled Marker
A view of the marker looking towards the south. The marker is part of an old fire alarm call box.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 12, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement