Oakland Township in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Carriage Barn Replica
This building is a replica of the original carriage barn that stood on this site. The original building was circa 1870, and was rumored to have been moved to this site in 1910. It was a two-bay timber framed building constructed of hand hewn six-by-six inch beams with mortise-and-tenon joinery. While the carriage barn was originally used to store carriages or sleighs, by the 1930's the utilitarian needs of the farm changed and the building was modified to house migrant workers.
The modifications made to the carriage barn impacted the structural integrity of the building. A portion of the structural tie beam was removed to allow for the addition of a second floor double-hung window in the upper west end of the structure. The roof was cut and a dormer was installed for headroom and light. Ribbon windows were added below the dormer for extra light on the main floor. Materials used for the construction consisted of packing crates with tamarack log beams and re-used silo staves for joists. Other structurally unsound modifications were made over the years, these modifications, coupled with the deterioration of the carriage barn made it necessary to demolish the building in the fall of 2004. At the time of demolition in 2004, all that remained of the foundation was a couple of corner boulders, some concrete blocks, and a stump.
Location. 42° 47.106′ N, 83° 8.772′ W. Marker is in Oakland Township, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker can be reached from West Predmore Road half a mile west of Rochester Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 384 West Predmore Road, Oakland MI 48363, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Flumerfelt Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Axford-Coffin Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); Lakeville Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Lakeville Auxiliary Hall (approx. 2½ miles away); Detroit United Railway and Car Barn (approx. 7 miles away); Masonic Block (approx. 7.2 miles away); Rochester Opera House (approx. 7.3 miles away); Three-faced Clock (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland Township.
Also see . . . The Barn that Brought a Community Together. (Submitted on November 4, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.