Blairstown in Warren County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Early history describes this building as a single structure, which when researched proves to not be entirely accurate. The structure is comprised of two separate entities joined together circa 1889. The first of these, the small rear two-story section, was constructed at least thirty years prior to the front section added in 1889. Little is known about the small rear section other then it appeared to be a residence and was owned by John I. Blair.
The larger front section or addition was added specifically to house the Post office, and the entire first floor was dedicated to that use. Before that time the post office was usually a part of a general store and moved constantly depending on the political climate. Prior to this time the post office had been located in the store of Mr. M.L. Wilson, who was Postmaster 1887-1889. In 1897 the Blairstown Press, a local news publication,
relocated its business to the second floor. The stage coach would pull up to the rear side of the Post Office and offload the mail bags through a door dedicated for that use. The mail then stayed in the rear for sorting, while the front right hand portion of the structure was the Postmaster's office and had business conducted in the remaining general area.
In 1900, a large boulder was placed along the street side of the building and
Location. 40° 58.999′ N, 74° 57.577′ W. Marker is in Blairstown, New Jersey, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Blair Place, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8 Main Street, Blairstown NJ 07825, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. John C. Johnson Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); The Water Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Simeon Cook Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rainbow Confectionery (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Blairstown (about Branigan’s Pharmacy (about 400 feet away); Roy’s Hall (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blairstown.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 171 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 12, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.