Burlington in Chittenden County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
First Unitarian Universalist Society Meeting House
Designed by noted architect Peter Banner of Boston, the Federal-style Meeting House was built in 1816 for the First Congregational Society (Unitarian) and is the oldest surviving place of worship in Burlington. Banner's design features a projecting square tower with octagonal belfry in front of the two-story brick nave. It was renovated in 1845 to reflect the Greek Revival style, retaining the tower's original design aesthetic. Its location and design have made the Meeting House one of the most recognized and significant historic landmarks in Burlington. In 1982 following a merger of the Unitarians and Universalists, the congregation voted to become the First Unitarian Universalist Society of Burlington.
Erected 2016 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 28.834′ N, 73° 12.756′ W. Marker is in Burlington, Vermont, in Chittenden County. Marker is at the intersection of Pearl Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Pearl Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 152 Pearl Street, Burlington VT 05401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church Street Marketplace (a few steps from this marker); Saint-Joseph Parish Burlington Civil War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Old Gas Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Chittenden County Trust Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Captain John Lonergan (approx. 0.3 miles away); City Hall Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Church Street (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlington.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 13, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.