Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Never the scene of much commercial activity, Ables Springs has remained a quiet, rural settlement throughout its history. Besides the Methodist congregation, Church of Christ and Baptist fellowships also have been organized here. Prior to World War I, the community had an active Woodman of the World Lodge. The tabernacle on the Methodist church property has been the site of many religious camp meetings, and the school played a vital role in the community until its consolidation with other school districts.
A reminder of the early settlement in northeast Kaufman County, Ables Springs is an important part of the area's pioneer heritage.
Marker should read James Ables (1829-1891), not James W. Ables (1860-1944). James's father, Ezekiel, received Nacogdoches
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8485.)
Location. 32° 48.841′ N, 96° 7.16′ W. Marker is in Terrell, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 338 and County Route 339, on the left when traveling south on County Route 338. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Terrell TX 75161, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The W. E. Henderson House (approx. 4.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Poetry Baptist Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Poetry Methodist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Dry Creek Cemetery (approx. 8.4 miles away); Terrell State Hospital Cemetery (approx. 9.1 miles away); Porter Farms (approx. 9.3 miles away); Terrell State Hospital (approx. 9.9 miles away); Public Education in Terrell (approx. 10 miles away but has been reported missing). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terrell.
More about this marker. The supplemental marker was issued marker number 14986 and erected 2002.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 134 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 15, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.