Light Houses of Grays Reef Passage
as viewed from Cross Village, Michigan
Skillagalee Island Light
Located 12 miles northwest of Cross Village. First established in 1850, the present Light was built in 1888. There are many shipwrecks near this island, in an area known as the "Graveyard of the Great Lakes."
Grays Reef Light
Built in 1936. Located 23 miles southwest of the Mackinac Straits. Gray Reef Light marks the Grays Reef Channel, one of the most hazardous area in the Great Lakes.
White Shoal Light
Established in 1910. Located 20 miles west of Mackinac Point in northern Lake Michigan. The distinctive red "barber stripe" tower is a well known waypoint to mariners on the Great Lakes.
Built in 1851. Abandoned in 1912 after White Shoal Light was established. Once used as target practice by the U.S. military. Said to be haunted by John Herman, Keeper from 1885 to 1894.
[Artwork by] ScGibbons
Erected 2009 by The Legs Inn.
Location. 45° 38.583′ N, 85° 2.256′ W. Marker is in Cross Village, Michigan, in Emmet
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Legs Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The History of Redpath Memorial Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); L'Arbre Croche (approx. 1.9 miles away); Area Of The Old Council Tree (approx. 2.4 miles away); Middle Village (approx. 7.3 miles away); a different marker also named Middle Village (approx. 7.3 miles away); St. Ignatius Mission (approx. 7.4 miles away); St. Ignatius of Loyola Church and Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cross Village.
Also see . . .
1. USCG Historic Light Station Information (Michigan). (Submitted on September 15, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. A history of Legs Inn and Cross Village, Michigan. (Submitted on September 15, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Communications • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 15, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.