The History of Redpath Memorial Presbyterian Church
The Cross Village Presbyterian Church was first organized on February 19, 1888, and dedicated in October of 1890. In 1918, a fire that destroyed much of the town also consumed the church. The church was rebuilt in 1921 as the results of the untiring efforts of a pioneer missionary, Reverend John Redpath. While the church was under construction, Rev. Redpath, who was eighty years old at the time, worked at any task, however menial, that was within his strength. He also canvassed all the resort areas in the county to raise funds. The summer people, who were impressed by his sincerity and zeal, responded generously. Through his persistent faith and constant endeavor, this beautiful house of worship was made possible. During his lifetime, no thought had been given to naming the church for its pastor. No doubt the idea would have been embarrassing to the unassuming man that he was. Following his death in 1926, the congregation felt that it must be so named.
During the next few years, the lumbering people moved away and the population in Cross Village dwindled. This small picturesque stone church stood empty. At one point, it was about to be purchased for a retail store. Several attempts to reopen it failed, and it became a community eyesore from neglect and vandalism.
Two young couples who summered with their families in Cross
This small congregation has continued to grow in attendance, income and dedication. Members of the church meet on Memorial Day weekend to elect officers, divide responsibilities and complete plans for the following summer. After necessary building maintenance is done and special requests and emergency needs are cared for, a portion of the offerings are returned to the community. A number of Cross Village college students are awarded scholarships each year to further their education. We have no formal pledges and a very informal organizational structure.
The congregation is comprised of many summer residents who are active in their home churches during the winter, but take part
Lay people as well as occasional guest speakers conduct worship services. Following the service on Sunday, there is a coffee hour at the church or in a home or nearby cottage of one of the members. The term "church family" describes this small group of dedicated people who are endeavoring to do God's will by providing a place of worship, a source of spiritual strength, fellowship and friendship.
We ask God's continued blessing on this little church and all that worship here.
Erected by Redpath Memorial Presbyterian Church.
Location. 45° 38.579′ N, 85° 2.13′ W. Marker is in Cross Village, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Shore Drive and Stone Church Road, on the right when traveling north on Lake Shore Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in the open exterior entrance vestibule. Marker is in this post office area: Cross Village MI 49723, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Legs Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Light Houses of Grays Reef Passage (about 500 feet away); L'Arbre Croche (approx. 2 miles away); Area Of The Old Council Tree (approx. 2½ miles away); Middle Village (approx. 7.3 miles away); a different marker also named Middle Village (approx. 7.4 miles away); St. Ignatius Mission (approx. 7.4 miles away); St. Ignatius of Loyola Church and Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cross Village.
Also see . . . Redpath Memorial Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on September 15, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.