Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleveland Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Peirce-Klingle Estate at Linnaean Hill

 
 
Peirce-Klingle Estate at Linnaean Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 18, 2016
1. Peirce-Klingle Estate at Linnaean Hill Marker
Inscription.
During the 19th century, the majority of the land now known as Rock Creek Park was owned by Isaac Peirce, one of Washington's most prominent land holders and mill owners. It was here that Isaac's son, Joshua Peirce, constructed his home in 1823 on top of a bluff overlooking the Rock Creek Valley and transformed an 82-acre tract of land into Washington D.C.'s first commercial nursery. Utilizing slave labor as the main work force until 1860, the nursery proved profitable and thrived for many decades. An avid horticulturalist, Peirce honored Swedish botanist Karl Von Linnaeus by naming both his property and his nursery Linnaean Hill.

Captions:
The Linnaean Hill estate was comprised of eleven stone and wooden structures. In addition to the home, only three other structures still exist to remind us of Peirce's use of the land. One of the most important buildings in the complex was the greenhouse. Built in 1826, it was situated between the utility and potting sheds behind the mansion. It was in this building that Peirce expertly developed and cultivated highly prized varieties of camellias.

In 1890, during the creation of Rock Creek Park, the federal government purchased the home from Joshua's nephew, Joshua Peirce Klingle. Locally referred to as Klingle Mansion, the homestead served as the original Nature Center
Peirce-Klingle Estate at Linnaean Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 18, 2016
2. Peirce-Klingle Estate at Linnaean Hill Marker
for Rock Creek Park from 1950-1960. Today, the mansion serves as the Park's headquarters.
 
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Location. 38° 56.181′ N, 77° 3.01′ W. Marker is in Cleveland Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from Williamsburg Lane, NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20008, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Herring Highway (approx. ¼ mile away); Pierce Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Machine in a Stone Box (approx. 0.3 miles away); Michael Kovats de Fabricy (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Peirce Family Estate (approx. 0.3 miles away); Peirce Still House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pierce Plantation (approx. 0.3 miles away); Orchards, Fields, Gardens, Pastures (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland Park.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement