The Pop Corn King
—326-328 East Mitchell —
The building on the far left is 328 East Mitchell. The Pop Corn King is the 326 address which opened in 1913. Meryl Leach was the pop corn king in Petoskey for nearly fifty years. A second floor family residence was added later. At the 328 address there were grocery stores inhabiting that building until 1935. McCune's City News Stand and later Kositchek's City News and Mundhenk Jewelry occupied this location. In 1962, Karl Buettner and Burt Chickering bought the 326 site and opened up the Clothes Post. Later they purchased the 328 address to expand their business. Like so many businesses in historic Petoskey, a hole in the wall was created to connect the two buildings. In 1975 John Jorgensen purchased the business and later the building in 1981. The Clothes Post has been operating for fifty plus years and counting at this address. Jeff Pagel purchased the business in 1999.
National Register of Historical Places
Erected by Little Traverse Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan, Little Traverse Historical Society marker series.
Location. 45° 22.431′ N, 84° 57.355′ W. Marker is in Petoskey, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker is on Mitchell Street
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fallass Drug Store (here, next to this marker); Giles Restaurant (a few steps from this marker); Koulis Ice Cream (within shouting distance of this marker); Coburn Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Kent Bank of Petoskey (within shouting distance of this marker); Petoskey Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Petoskey Housefurnishing Co. / Reid Furniture (within shouting distance of this marker); Jesperson's Restaurant (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petoskey.
Also see . . . Little Traverse Historical Society. (Submitted on September 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 143 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.