Hanalei in Kauai County, Hawaii — Hawaiian Island Archipelago (Pacific Ocean)
Waioli Mission Hall
The building design, distinguished by its lanais and steep double pitched roof, is a notable adaption of New England building traditions to Hawaiian culture and climate. This building served as the mission church until the adjacent 1912 Waioli church sanctuary was constructed to accommodate the growing congregation. The building has been restored after surviving severe damage from Hurricane Iniki in 1992. It is listed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Waioli Mission Hall has served its church and community in various activities for the diverse ministries of the Waioli Hui‘ia Church and the glory of God.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hanalei HI 96714, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hanalei Schoolhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Russian Fort Alexander (approx. 1.4 miles away); Daniel K. Inouye (approx. 6.7 miles away); Maunakapu and Wailua River (approx. 14.1 miles away); Wai'ale'ale (approx. 14.1 miles away); Poli'auh Heiau (approx. 14.2 miles away); Roxy Theater (approx. 14.6 miles away); The Kapa‘a Japanese Stone Lantern (Ishidoro) (approx. 14.6 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is attached to the front of the Mission Hall, next to the door. Difficult to see from the street.
Regarding Waioli Mission Hall. Following Captain Cook's "discovery" of Hawaii in 1778 there came the sandalwood traders, whalers, and the missionaries. With the renunciation of the indigenous religion in 1819 by Native royalty, the missionaries had an open field, aided by literacy and a superior technology. In 1834 came Mary and William Alexander to bring the Gospel to the north side of the island of Kauai. In addition to the Mission Hall (see marker), they established a Mission House and school. They were succeeded in 1843 by the Reverend and Mrs. Rowell, and then in 1846 by Mr. and Mrs. Abner Wilcox. From 1869 until 1921
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Waioli Mission Hall.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,922 times since then and 25 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week August 10, 2008. Photos: 1. submitted on August 2, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2. submitted on June 9, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on August 2, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 4. submitted on June 9, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 2, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.