Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tenth Street Historic District Freedman's Town
Though the community continued to maintain a strong African American heritage, the construction of IH-35 east in 1955 and integration in the 1960s resulted in the demolition of around 175 original and influenced residents to seek opportunities elsewhere. Residential buildings date to as early as 1910 and are relatively unchanged. Oak Cliff Cemetery, established in 1846 by settler William Beaty, is within the heart of the district near the 1928 N. W. Harllee School. Other significant buildings include the 1889 Sunshine Elizabeth
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18318.)
Location. 32° 45.073′ N, 96° 48.367′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of East Eighth Street and Anthony Street, on the right when traveling east on East Eighth Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1216 E Eighth St, Dallas TX 75203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A. H. Belo Corporation (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Dallas Morning News (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of First Ferry and Bridge (approx. 1.9 miles away); John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza (approx. 1.9 miles away); Kennedy Assassination Route (approx. 1.9 miles away); Dealey Plaza (approx. 1.9 miles away); Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark (approx. 1.9 miles away); Dallas County Records Building (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
More about this marker. The dedication ceremony for this marker was held September 17, 2016 at 10 AM, sharing the event with the ribbon cutting for the N.W. Harllee Early Childhood Center, in front of which it stands. The historical marker was produced through the Texas Historical Commission's "Undertold Marker" program.
Categories. • African Americans • Architecture •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 22, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 134 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 22, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.