Genoa in Douglas County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Originally – The Raycraft Dance Hall
Built: Spring of 1886 Foundation: Rock
Building Size: 80 x 33 Feet – 16 Foot Ceiling
Flooring: Best Quality Wood Available
Constructed: By the Sons of Joseph Raycraft
Joseph, acting as a wagon master for 300 souls, headed west with his family from Missouri in 1863. The Raycraft Family located in Genoa, Nevada Territory, that same year. The family opened a hotel business. A livery stable and freight business were added later. In 1886 the family began construction of the Raycraft Hall located opposite their Hotel. A dedication ball was held June 4th, 1886. A first class orchestra was engaged and the ticket price of $3.00 included and excellent supper at the Raycraft Exchange (Hotel).
On April 5, 1941, a deed was recorded from Annie Raycraft to the unincorporated town of Genoa for the hall and property. The building has since been referred to as the “Genoa Town Hall”. The hall, maintained by the town, is used for community activities such as the annual “Candy Dance”, political and civic debates, election polls, theater groups, funerals, receptions, etc.
Erected 2002 by Great Grandsons of the Raycraft Family, Thomas and Richard Raycraft.
Location. 39° 0.17′ N, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Genoa NV 89411, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Genoa Bar (within shouting distance of this marker); Douglas Lodge #12, F& AM (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pink House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nevada’s First Newspaper (about 300 feet away); Genoa or “Mormon Station” of the Pony Express (about 300 feet away); Douglas Seminary (about 400 feet away); We Made It! The End of the Great Basin (about 400 feet away); John A. “Snowshoe” Thompson (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Genoa.
Also see . . . Genoa Town Hall (Town of Genoa, Nevada USA). Built in 1886 as the Raycraft Dance Hall, this structure was purchased from Annie Raycraft in 1941 by the Town of Genoa. The Genoa Candy Dance was held in the Town Hall starting in1919 and has since outgrown the Town Hall's 260 person capacity. Many other community events and meetings are still held in the hall.... (Submitted on September 23, 2016.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Entertainment • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.