Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Mayham Tower
At the top of this tower constructed of logs filled in with earth, an embrasure was cut and a six-pounder gun was lifted into position which from elevation was able to rake the interior of the fort, so that the besieged had to dig holes for their protection, and on June 5, the British garrison of 300 surrendered to Major Rudolph, whom tradition identifies as the later Marshal Ney. Thereafter, Augusta and all of North and Central Georgia remained in American hands until the end of the War.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-23.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 28.601′ N, 81° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Augusta Cotton Exchange (here, next to this marker); A Memorial To Eli Whitney (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Augusta (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Original Augusta Common - 1736 (about 400 feet away); General James Edward Oglethorpe (about 500 feet away); James Edward Oglethorpe (about 500 feet away); The Levee (about 500 feet away); Floods (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . The History of Georgia By Charles Colcock Jones page 485- 495. The Mayham Tower (Submitted on August 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • Military • Notable Events • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for The Mayham Tower.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,469 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.