Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The American National Bank
A second financial institution, the Childress Brothers' Bank, was founded in 1876. Col. Jim Harris, who bought an interest in 1882, acquired the Childress bank in 1885 and the Bivens and Corley Bank in 1887, merging them as the Harris Bank. Also in that year, the town acquired a federally chartered bank, the First National. Oscar B. Colquitt (1861-1940), later to be governor of Texas, was one of its founders.
At the death of Col. Harris in 1895, A. J. Childress, John H. Corley, and seven other citizens bought the Harris estate and formed Harris National Bank. One of the directors was the railroad magnate Edward H. R. Green, son of the noted financier Hetty Green. In 1903 the Harris National was renamed American National Bank. When the depression of the 1930s strained the town's resources, the two national banks were merged. As of 1976, the American National Bank is the oldest and largest financial institution in Kaufman County
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9417.)
Location. Touch for map. Originally located outside the building, the marker was moved indoors after building renovation. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 West Moore Avenue, Terrell TX 75160, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940) (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carnegie Public Library (about 600 feet away); Carnegie Library Building (about 600 feet away); Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot (about 800 feet away); Church of the Good Shepherd (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Terrell (approx. ¼ mile away); Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terrell.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.