Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ranger in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Bankhead Highway

 
 
The Bankhead Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 8, 2016
1. The Bankhead Highway Marker
Inscription. The Bankhead National Highway, from Washington, D.C. to San Diego, California, was the nationís first all-weather, coast-to-coast highway. The southern road skirted the western mountains and was largely free from ice and snow, so it could be used reliably year-found. It was named for Alabama Senator John H. Bankhead, author of the Federal Highway Act of 1916, which provided federal aid to states for highway construction.
†††††An “All Texas” route from Texarkana to El Paso was approved when the Bankhead Highway Association met at Mineral Wells in April, 1919. A few branches were also approved. The primary route coincided with Texas Highway No. 1. About 900 miles long, the Texas 1 Bankhead comprised nearly one-third of the total length of the national road.
†††††The Texas Bankhead became part of the route known as the “Broadway of America.” After numbers replaced names on national highways in 1926, the Bankhead route from Texarkana became part of US-67 to Dallas, where it joined US-80. Those federal highways were often realigned and by the 1960s gave way to Interstates 30 and 20 (which merged with I-10 in far West Texas).
†††††Despite the changes, most of the early Bankhead in Texas remains as state and county roads that connect the towns which the interstates by-passed. The Bankhead name lives on
Marker at Northwest Corner of Train Depot Building, now Roaring Ranger Museum image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 8, 2016
2. Marker at Northwest Corner of Train Depot Building, now Roaring Ranger Museum
in public memory, as do miles of Bankhead pavement from the 1920s.
 
Erected by Bankhead Highway Association.
 
Location. 32° 28.177′ N, 98° 40.797′ W. Marker is in Ranger, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker is on S. Commerce Street south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on front wall of train depot building at its northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Ranger TX 76470, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Well Number 19 (a few steps from this marker); Roaring Ranger (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Oil Well Drilled in Eastland County (within shouting distance of this marker); Ranger Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Ranger Municipal Airport (approx. one mile away); Merriman Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Merriman Baptist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bankhead Highway Through Eastland County (approx. 7.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ranger.
 
Also see . . .  Bankhead Highway. A website from the Texas Historical Commission. (Submitted on September 24, 2016.) 
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
The Bankhead Highway in Ranger image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 8, 2016
3. The Bankhead Highway in Ranger
View to south along S. Commerce Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 24, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement