The Old Mission Church
This building is a replica of the original mission church which was erected in 1839 by the Reverend Peter Dougherty, a Presbyterian missionary, who came here from Mackinaw to establish the first mission in this part of the country. Originally the building stood on the bayshore but later was moved to this site where it remained for many years. The bell which is now in the belfry is the original bell of the old church.
Mrs. Bertha Gilmore
a longtime resident of
Old Mission Peninsula,
donated the land for this replica
Location. 44° 57.318′ N, 85° 29.395′ W. Marker is in Old Mission, Michigan, in Grand Traverse County. Marker is at the intersection of Mission Road and Mission School Road, on the right when traveling north on Mission Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Old Mission MI 49673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hesler Log House (approx. 2½ miles away); The Hessler Log Home (approx. 2½ miles away); A Light at Old Mission (approx. 2½ miles away); Site of Lighthouse Privy Oil House (approx. 2½ miles away); Because of the Water... (approx. 5.6 miles away); Rotary Park "Centennial Project" (approx. 5.7 miles away); Elk Rapids (approx. 5.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Old Mission Peninsula. (Submitted on September 26, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.