Grand Traverse County Courthouse
Grand Traverse County was officially organized in 1851. Its first courthouse and jail were built in 1854 for $600 on land donated by the lumbering firm Hannah, Lay and Company. The courthouse, a wooden structure, burned in 1862. The county used rented quarters until 1900. In 1898 the county accepted plans for the present brick and stone structure submitted by architects Rush, Bowman and Rush of Grand Rapids. The building, placed on the site of the original courthouse, was completed in 1900 at a cost of $35,665. In 1975, after an intensive campaign led by County Historical Society President Jennie Arnold, citizens voted to remodel the building. The renovation was completed at a cost of $1.7 million, and the structure was rededicated on July 4, 1981.
Erected 1986 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L0297.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 44° 45.697′ N, 85° 36.994′ W. Marker is in Traverse City, Michigan, in Grand Traverse County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Boardman Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War Memorial (here, next to this marker); Spanish-American War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S.S. Sabine Parrott Rifle (within shouting distance of this marker); Central United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ladies Library Building (approx. ¼ mile away but has been reported missing); Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans (approx. 0.3 miles away); Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Traverse City.
Also see . . .
1. Grand Traverse County Official Website. (Submitted on September 26, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Traverse Area Historical Society. (Submitted on September 26, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on September 26, 2016. 4. submitted on September 26, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.