Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newcastle in Weston County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

The Trains Power Newcastle

 
 
The Trains Power Newcastle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 6, 2016
1. The Trains Power Newcastle Marker
Captions: (center) Bird's eye view of Newcastle around 1910.; (vertical on right, top to bottom) Working on the railroad grade outside of Newcastle in 1889; Workers from the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad posing for a picture in 1903.; Railroad Stockyards, ca. 1960; (sidebar of left) The original depot was built in 1890, above left, and was replaced in the late 1920s by the present depot, above right.
Inscription. Newcastle Becomes a Center
Development of northeastern Wyoming came quickly on the heels of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, or the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe as it is known today. The Burlington's Grand Island and Northern Wyoming line steamed into Newcastle on November 17, 1889.
The newly created town became the western terminus of the tracks when construction was suspended for the winter. As a railroad division point, Newcastle quickly became a central hub for oil, coal, timber, and livestock interests.
By 1900, 756 people lived in Newcastle, most of them railroad workers, and miners. The population continued to climb, and by 1950, 3,395 people called the town home.

Parent Companies of the Northern Wyoming Railroad
Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad
Burlington and Missouri River Rail Road Company
1882 - Built from Missouri River to Denver
Grand Island and Wyoming Central Railroad
1886 - Built from Grand Island, NE to Wyoming border
Grand Island and Northern Wyoming Railroad
1888 - Built from northeast Wyoming to southern Montana

Side bar on the left:
Sending the Word Out
The first depot was a "hand car house" unloaded off a
The Trains Power Newcastle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 6, 2016
2. The Trains Power Newcastle Marker
construction flatcar the day before the first passenger train arrived. E.R. Maris became the operator of the newly installed telegraph lines in 1890. He sent out the message that the town of Newcastle, Territory of Wyoming now had railroad connections.
 
Erected by Wyoming State Parks & Cultural Resources.
 
Location. 43° 51.245′ N, 104° 12.353′ W. Marker is in Newcastle, Wyoming, in Weston County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 16) and South Railroad Avenue, on the left when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 West Main Street, Newcastle WY 82701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cambria Powers the Trains (here, next to this marker); Hanging of Diamond L. Slim Clifton (within shouting distance of this marker); Accidental Oil Well (approx. 3.9 miles away); Cambria (approx. 4 miles away); Site of Field City (approx. 4.6 miles away); Salt Creek Overlook (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Jenny Stockade (approx. 4.9 miles away); Camp Jenney (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newcastle.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement