Near Lusk in Niobrara County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Along the Cheyenne to Deadwood Stage: Hat Creek Stage Station
The U.S. Military established a single-company infantry post called Fort Hat Creek in 1875. Three stage stations have stood near the post. The first was built in 1876 but burned later the same year. A long log building that housed a telegraph station, post office, blacksmith shop, road house, stages and store replaced the first station after it burned. In the early 1880s. the two-story, hip-roof stage station that stands today was erected and the second stage station was torn down.
The Hat Creek station was located at the southern edge of the most dangerous section of the Cheyenne-Deadwood Stage Route. Near the station, travelers frequently encountered Indians defending the Black Hills territory and road agents robbing the stagecoaches. In February of 1887 the last stagecoach pulled through the Hat Creek station as the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad replaced the stage
Side bar on left
Hat Creek Stage Station is actually located on Sage Creek. Tradition states that a troop of soldiers from Fort Laramie intended to locate a military outpost on Hat Creek in western Nebraska. Mistaking Sage Creek for Hat Creek, the soldiers established a post and gave it the name of their intended destination. The name stuck and was given to the stage station as well.
Erected by Wyoming State Parks & Cultural Resources.
Location. 42° 56.34′ N, 104° 22.182′ W. Marker is near Lusk, Wyoming, in Niobrara County. Marker is on CanAm Highway (U.S. 85 at milepost 163) near Hat Creek Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lusk WY 82225, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hat Creek Stage Station (approx. 1½ miles away); Redwood Water Tank (approx. 12.8 miles away); a different marker also named Redwood Water Tank (approx. 12.8 miles away); Oldest Building in Lusk (approx. 13 miles away); Monuments to Wyoming History (approx. 13.3 miles Texas Trail - 1866 - 1897 (approx. 13.3 miles away); The C & H Refinery (approx. 13.6 miles away); Breaks in the Prairie (approx. 14.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lusk.
More about this marker. This marker is approximately 13 miles north of Lusk.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 28, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.