Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Kaminski House, originally a single house with a central stairhall between two rooms, was significantly enlarged in the 1890s by George R. Congdon (1834–1909), also mayor in 1862, and in the 1930s and 1940s by Harold and Julia Kaminski. The house and its furnishings, including antiques from the 18th to the 20th centuries, was bequeathed to the City of Georgetown by Julia Pyatt Kaminski and has been open to the public as a house museum since 1973.
Erected 1995 by the Georgetown County Historical Society. (Marker Number 22-49.)
Location. 33° 22.11′ N, 79° 17.19′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is on Front Street near King Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Landing of Lafayette (a few steps from this marker); Robert Stewart House (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Georgetown (within shouting distance of this marker); 24 Pound Naval Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Kaminski House Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Kaminski House Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Joseph Hayne Rainey Park (about 300 feet away); Georgetown’s Industrious Past (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Also see . . . Kaminski House Museum. “Located in the heart of Georgetown’s Historic district, the Kaminski House was built about 1769 and contains an outstanding collection of American and English antiques from the 18th and 19th centuries.” (Submitted on March 30, 2008.)
Categories. • Architecture • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,257 times since then and 58 times this year. Last updated on September 30, 2016, by Sharon F. Corey of Pawleys Island, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 30, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4. submitted on June 7, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.