Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Tod Barracks, 1863

 
 
Tod Barracks, 1863 Marker, Side One image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
1. Tod Barracks, 1863 Marker, Side One
Inscription. One of five Civil War military posts in Columbus, Tod Barracks, named in honor of Governor David Tod, was built in 1863 as the headquarters for military administration in central Ohio. Necessitated by Lincoln’s call for 300,000 new troops, the post was constructed in two months with United States Engineer, Captain John Tod, as supervisor. Carpenters of the 88th Ohio Volunteer Infantry from Camp Chase, three miles west, built it. Tod Barracks served as a recruiting depot, a rendezvous point for new recruits, and place where soldiers mustered-out after the war. Located adjacent to Columbus’ Union Station, the post also served as a transfer point for soldiers and officers traveling through Ohio.

Tod Barracks’ main administration building faced High Street; an arched entrance opened to a parade ground flanked by six barracks that quartered up to 5,000 enlisted soldiers. In addition, there was a guardhouse, two mess halls, small hospital, sutler’s store, and officers’ quarters and offices. The installation occupied almost nine acres and was surrounded by a twelve-foot high board fence. During the war, adjacent Goodale Park
Tod Barracks, 1863 Marker, Side Two image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
2. Tod Barracks, 1863 Marker, Side Two
served as a campground for mobilizing regiments that could not be quartered at the barracks. Tod Barracks operated through 1866 while the Union army demobilized. The last remnant was torn down in 1911.
 
Erected 2003 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Hadler and Peppe Families, the Greater Columbus Convention Center, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 83-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 58.423′ N, 83° 0.156′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of North High Street and Goodale Street, on the right when traveling north on North High Street. Touch for map. Marker is in a small park at the edge of the convention center, across from the Union Station shops. It is difficult to see from High Street when heading north. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Goodale (approx. 0.2 miles away);
Closeup of Map Reproduced on Side One of Marker image. Click for full size.
July 12, 2008
3. Closeup of Map Reproduced on Side One of Marker
Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli / Chiesta Italiana di San Giovanni Battista (approx. 0.3 miles away); Father Rocco Petrarca (approx. 0.3 miles away); Flytown (approx. 0.3 miles away); Columbus' First Professional Game (approx. half a mile away); The Columbus Buckeyes (approx. half a mile away); The Western League (approx. half a mile away); The Negro Leagues in Columbus (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Regarding Tod Barracks, 1863. The Convention Center now sits on land that was once Tod Barracks and the original Union Station and parts of its rail yard. Compare the street grid in the map reproduced in Photo No. 4 with the marker's current map.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Closeup of Map Reproduced on Side 2 of Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
4. Closeup of Map Reproduced on Side 2 of Marker
This excerpt of a map shows Tod Barracks and the surrounding streets and rail lines. The north-south street through the center of the map is now High Street and the street labeled “Bond” is now Goodale Street. Click on image to enlarge.
Tod Barracks, 1863 Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
5. Tod Barracks, 1863 Marker
Marker is centered below and behind the Convention Center sign. The preserved facade of the last Union Station, on both sides of High Street straddling Interstate 670 below it, is to the left. High Street is in the foreground.
Tod Barracks, 1863 Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
6. Tod Barracks, 1863 Marker
View is towards intersection of High and Goodale Streets. The preserved facade of the last Union Station, now shops, is in the distance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 965 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 2, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement