Milton in Santa Rosa County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Marquis Bayou Bridge
The Marquis Bayou Bridge, named for George Marquis, the owner of a local saw mill that operated in the mid-1800s, opened in 1937. A Santa Rosa County delegation that included future Florida Governor Millard Caldwell helped to make the bridge a reality. The bridge was designed by the Florida State Road Department, and Federal funds, some from the Works Progress Administration, were used in the bridge’s construction. Tidewater Construction Company, George D. Auchter Construction Company, and Duval Engineering & Construction Company helped to build the bridge, which provided an economic boost to Milton during the Great Depression. The Marquis Bayou Bridge was a two-lane, reinforced concrete T-beam bridge with a slight curve and a single sidewalk on the north side. Its historic cast concrete railings with distinctive vertical, oval openings were typical if 1920s – 30s bridges but few remain in Florida. When the need arose for a new bridge, the Florida Department of Transportation worked closely with the community to design this new two-lane bridge on the same alignment and incorporating some of the historic railings from the original bridge.
Erected 2013 by Florida Department of Transportation and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-782.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located at the west end of the bridge, on the north side. Marker is in this post office area: Milton FL 32583, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. 0.4 miles away); Blackwater Landing / Blackwater River Shipwrecks (approx. half a mile away); Working for the Company (approx. 1½ miles away); Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (approx. 1½ miles away); Animals Along the Blackwater River (approx. 1½ miles away); Bagdad Lumber Mill / Shipbuilding at Bagdad (approx. 1½ miles away); Bagdad After the Mill (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Ecology of the Blackwater River (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
Regarding Marquis Bayou Bridge. The original Marquis Bayou Bridge, built between 1936 and 1937, was replaced between 2013 and 2015 with the current, modern bridge.
Also see . . . The WPA in Milton.
In addition to the 1937 bridge across Marquis Bayou, Milton hosts two other examples of significant WPA projects - the old Milton Post Office and its George Snow Hill mural. For his mural, Hill chose to depict the Lumber Industry, (Submitted on October 3, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 3, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.