Fort Bliss in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Post Hospitals
—Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District —
A new hospital, Building 1, was constructed in 1904. The two-story structure closely adhered to plans issued by the Surgeon General in 1867. These called for a central administrative block, flanking 48-bed wards, a rear kitchen wing, and wrap-around porches since demolished. A third floor was added in 1916.
Building 4, the isolation ward, was constructed in 1914, and a nearby ambulance garage, Building 5, soon after. In an era before air conditioning, when epidemics could kill tens of thousands of Americans, physical quarantine offered a measure of control.
In 1916 this 200-bed complex was designated the principal medical facility supporting the Punitive Expedition. A number of wood buildings were added to cope with the influx of patients during World War I.
As these buildings became overcrowded, unsanitary, and dilapidated, the Surgeon General lobbied for new facilities. The result was a 414-bed
Location. 31° 49.271′ N, 106° 24.895′ W. Marker is in Fort Bliss, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is at the intersection of Pershing Road and South Road on Pershing Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Bliss TX 79916, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pearl Harbor Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mexican War Refugee Camp (approx. 0.8 miles away); Building 1372 (approx. one mile away); Building 1355 (approx. one mile away); Second Expansion Period Group (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Expansion Period (approx. 1.4 miles away); Wilson Park (approx. 1˝ miles away); Initial Construction Period (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Bliss.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 215 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 4, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.