Santiago de Querétaro in Municipality of Querétaro, Querétaro, Mexico — The Central Highlands
Alley of Matamoros
Callejón de Matamoros
Durante la época virreinal este callejón formó parte del Convento Real de Santa Clara de Jesús, uno de los más grandes en la Nueva España. Durante el siglo XIX, cuando el convento fue fraccionado, se creó este paso peatonal conocido como “el callejón del Excomulgado”.
La fuente que lo adorna se colocó en la década de 1960. Se trata de una réplica de la que está en la Casa de los Perros, antigua morada del arquitecto lgnacio Mariano de las Casas. Sobresalen en su diseño las cuatro esfinges de cantera y figuras de ángeles entrelazados que decoran el pedestal.
Alley of Matamoros
During the Viceroyalty, this alley was part of the convent of Santa Clara, one of the largest in New Spain. When the convent was partially destroyed, the area was divided and this alley was built for pedestrian traffic. The 19th century dwellers used to call it the "Alley of the Excommunicated".
The fountain that adorns the passage was placed in the 60's of the last century. It is an exact replica of one that still exists in the House of Dogs, former home of the architect Ignacio Mariano de las Casas. It features four supporting sphinxes of cantera (a type of rock native to Mexico) and a pedestal decorated with images of intertwined angels.
Location. 20° 35.577′ N, 100° 23.706′ W. Marker is in Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro, in Municipality of Querétaro. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Andador Matamoros and Guadalupe Victoria. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro 76000, Mexico.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Last Prison of Maximilian (within shouting distance of this marker); Temple and former Convent of Capuchins (within shouting distance of this marker); Manuel de la Peña y Peña (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Benjamin N. Velasco Military Institute (about 90 meters away); Tribute to Juan Antonio de Urrutia y Arana (about 120 meters away); Vicente Guerrero (about 120 meters away); Vicente Guerrero Garden (about 120 meters away); Temple of the Ex-Convent of Santa Clara de Jesus (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santiago de Querétaro.
Regarding Alley of Matamoros. Conín, mentioned on the marker and also known by his Christian name Fernando de Tapia, was an Otomi indigenous leader, who helped the Spaniards conquer territories in the central part of Mexico during the 16th century. In 1521, the Spanish arrived in what would become Mexico and soon
Diego de Tapia was the son of Conin. Diego de Tapia's daughter, Luisa, was born in 1590 and died on September 22, 1663. She was a nun, abbess and supporter of the Santa Clara de Jesus Convent, the fourth largest in New Spain. She is also known by her Christian name of María Luisa del Espíritu Santo.
The marker was replaced in 2018 with updated text but in the same location as a marker with the same name. The marker also mentions that the area is part of the Zone of Historical Monuments of Querétaro (Zona de Monumentos Históricos de Querétaro) as part of its designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 10, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 4, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 5. submitted on May 10, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 6, 7. submitted on October 4, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.