Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Friendswood in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Fig Industry In Friendswood

 
 
Fig Industry in Friendswood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, March 1, 2012
1. Fig Industry in Friendswood Marker
Inscription. Friendswood was established as a Quaker colony by Frank J. Brown and Thomas H. Lewis in 1895. Among the colony's early settlers was former Kansas farmer Nereus Stout. Stout became a highly acclaimed horticulturist and is believed to be the first farmer to grow figs commercially in Galveston County.

J.C. Carpenter established Galveston County's first fig preserving plant in Friendswood about 1910. His main supplier was the Stout farm, but in time his inventory of fig suppliers expanded as figs became a popular and reliable cash crop. By the early 1920s Galveston County accounted for half of all the figs grown in a 7-county area along Texas' Gulf Coast. In 1930 one-third of the county's leading fig producers were from Friendswood, a community of fewer than 300 residents. Friendswood's two fig preserving plants supported a network of nurserymen and orchardists, and provided employment for many of Friendswood's residents, including the years during the 1930s Great Depression.

Fig production along the Texas Gulf Coast declined after World War II; Friendswood's fig orchards began disappearing in the 1950s. A commercial fig preserving plant in Friendswood, the last of its kind still in operation on the Texas Gulf Coast, closed in 1968.
Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995
Fig Industry in Friendswood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, March 1, 2012
2. Fig Industry in Friendswood Marker

 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7437.)
 
Location. 29° 31.248′ N, 95° 11.48′ W. Marker is in Friendswood, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Shadwell Lane and South Friendswood Drive (Texas Highway FM 518), on the right when traveling south on Shadwell Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Friendswood TX 77546, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Street Fig Orchards (approx. 0.2 miles away); Friends Church Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Friendswood (approx. 0.7 miles away); Quaker Academy (approx. mile away); Oldest Structure Remaining (approx. mile away); Friendswood Postal Service (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Business (approx. 0.8 miles away); Cecil and Frances Brown House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friendswood.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Friendswood. Friendswood Historical Society (Submitted on March 1, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.) 

2. Friendswood Heritage. Friendswood Chamber of Commerce (Submitted on March 1, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.) 

3. From The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on October 6, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
4. More History of Friendswood. (Submitted on October 7, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
 
Categories. AgricultureHorticulture & Forestry
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on October 6, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 1, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement