Runkles Mill and The Mt. Airy Milling Company
Historic Downtown Mount Airy
From the late 1800s to the mid-1960s, Mount Airy was a busy farming community. The B&O Railroad carried commodities from Mount Airy to market, and carried needed manufactured goods into Mount Airy. A grain mill was always one of the centers of commerce in the town. Local farmers would deliver grain to the mill, where it was ground into flour and feed. Then trains would carry the grain to market in Baltimore and other cities.
Runkles' Mill was one of the first mills built alongside the tracks in Mount Airy. It was destroyed in the fire of 1914. The Mt. Airy Milling Company was built in its place. It was destroyed by fire in 1967. The grain silos, which stood behind the F&M Bank, were demolished in 1978. Both mills were located on this site.
[Photo captions read]
Runkles Mill circa 1910
Mt. Airy Milling Co. circa 1960
Photographs courtesy of the Historical Society of Mount Airy
Location. 39° 22.626′ N, 77° 9.26′ W. Marker is in Mount Airy, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on Main Street (Maryland Route 808) south of Prospect Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 South Main Street, Mount Airy MD 21771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . .
1. History of Mount Airy, Maryland. (Submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. About Downtown Mount Airy, MD. (Submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.