New York City in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
George and Ira Gershwin
1898 - 1937
1896 - 1983
The composer, and the lyricist, lived here between 1929–33, the years they wrote Broadway show Girl Crazy and, their political satires, Of Thee I Sing, and Let 'Em Eat Cake.
Erected by Historic Landmarks Preservation Center.
Location. 40° 46.946′ N, 73° 59.063′ W. Marker is in New York City, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of West 75th Street and Riverside Drive, on the right when traveling west on West 75th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33 Riverside Drive, New York NY 10023, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hamilton Fountain (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); West End Collegiate Church and Collegiate School (about 700 feet away); Tecumseh Playground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eleanor Roosevelt (approx. half a mile away); Sergei Vassilevich Rachmaninoff (approx. half a mile away); Where Poe Wrote “The Raven” Where Poe wrote The Raven (approx. half a mile away); George Herman "Babe" Ruth (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York City.
More about this marker. The building the Gershwins lived in has a Riverside Drive Street address, but the building entrance and marker are found on W. 75th St.
Also see . . . The Gershwin Brothers: Ira and George. American Composers. Part 5. Composer Marvin Hamlisch discusses the lives and music of George and Ira Gershwin. (Submitted on October 7, 2016.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 7, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3. submitted on September 19, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.