Originally named Williamsburg, later Shaw, the village's name was changed to Burwood, a title taken from Mrs. Humphrey Ward's novel, "Robert Elsmere." Rev. John Pope, a Revolutionary War veteran, built his home, Eastview, here in 1806. Other early settlers included Samuel Akin, Bird Dodson, Fielding Helm, Col. Hardy Murfree, Peter Parham, and Kinchen Sparkman. From 1826 until 1890, Cayce Springs Resort was renowned for its sulphur and mineral waters. The health spa included a hotel and guest cabins. Burwood School served the area from 1912 until 1976. Earlier, Williams Academy, established in 1879, was located in the village. Other schools, now gone, included West End, Mt. Laverene, Pearly Hill and Sycamore.
In 1818 "Parson" John Pope gave two acres, two miles south, for Pope's Chapel Methodist Church. After a 1910 cyclone destroyed the brick structure, the congregation built, in 1913, the present Burwood Methodist Church. Burwood Church of Christ, originally known as West End, was moved to its present location in 1913. Lawrence Grove Baptist Church, located on the old Pope Campgrounds, was organized in 1917. Huff's store, built in 1910, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. Carter's Creek Pike, a toll road from 1850 until 1917, connects the area to Franklin.
Location. 35° 48.756′ N, 86° 58.992′ W. Marker is in Burwood, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Carters Creek Pike (Tennessee Route 246) and Popes Chapel Road, on the left when traveling south on Carters Creek Pike. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5452 Carters Creek Pike, Thompsons Station TN 37179, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thompson's Station (approx. 4.2 miles away); Thompson's Station Train Depot (approx. 4.2 miles away); Battle of Thompsonís Station (approx. 4.5 miles away); U.S.D. 1812 (approx. 4.9 miles away); Tennessee Valley Divide (approx. 5 miles away); Hood and Schofield (approx. 5 miles away); William Banks Caperton (approx. 5.1 miles away); Spring Hill, Tennessee ~ November 29, 1864 (approx. 5.2 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2016, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2016, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2016, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.