The Historic National Road in Ohio
The National Road reached Zanesville in 1830, primarily
following the route laid out by Colonel Zane which became
known as Zane’s Trace. With the combination of the
National Road, and the navigable Muskingum River,
Zanesville soon became an important commercial center.
By the 1840’s, flourishing industries included iron
foundries, and cotton, flour, paper and lumber mills.
Production of art pottery was the most important industry
in Zanesville during the second half of the nineteenth
century. By the 1910’s, the Zanesville region was the largest
manufacturer of pottery in the world.
Erected 2011 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 56.413′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second Capital of Ohio (a few steps from this marker); World War II and Korean War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Three Muskingum County Courthouses (within shouting distance of this marker); Lodge of Amity No. 5 Free and Accepted Masons (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Architect Cass Gilbert (about 600 feet away); American Legion Post #29 Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); The Bicentennial Legacy Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Muskingum County Iraqi Conflicts Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zanesville.
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Categories. • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 12, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.