Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
óBreckinridge's Corps ó
Colonel Daniel C. Govan
November 25, 1863
2nd, 15th and 24th Arkansas - Lieutenant Colonel E. Warfield
5th and 13th Arkansas - Colonel John E. Murray
6th and 7th Arkansas - Lieutenant Colonel Peter Snyder
8th and 19th Arkansas - Lieutenant Colonel A. S. Hutchinson
This brigade with Douglas' Battery, Lieutenant John H. Bingham, commanding, was established late Nov. 24th on the spur extending eastwardly from this position its left being near this point. Throughout the battle of November 25th the brigade and battery had a direct fire down the valley and an oblique fire upon the slopes, by which the enemy's left persistently assaulted Tunnel Hill. After the second charge on this position. The 2nd, 15th and 24th Arkansas consolidated under Lieutenant Colonel E. Warfield, were detached from the left of the brigade and posted in support of Swett's Battery on top of Tunnel Hill, and there took active part in the desperate fighting until the close of the battle, capturing a battle flag during a counter charge, and aided in capturing several hundred prisoners. Two of Swett's 12 pounders were sent to Douglas' Battery. When the Union forces at the center carried Missionary Ridge the brigade was dispatched to cover the Shallowford Road, and
Erected 1890 by the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number MT-374.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 4.147′ N, 85° 14.266′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker could be reached from Durand Avenue north of Lightfoot Mill Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. This missing tablet was located beside a walking trail that goes along the lower eastern slopes of the Sherman Reservation. Marker was in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Cleburne's Division (here, next to this marker); Polk's Brigade (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Cleburne's Division (within shouting distance of this marker); Wright's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 37th Ohio Infantry (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); 30th Ohio Infantry (about 600 feet away); Lowrey's Brigade (about 700 feet away); 80th Ohio Infantry (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. For years I have been attempting to locate and reach several
In discussing the probable location of this tablet with the National Military Park historian, Jim Ogden, and consulting the National Park Service records, it was concluded that this tablet was originally located right beside the Polk's Brigade tablet. Further, it was assumed that the Govan's Brigade tablet was somehow damaged and then removed from its original mounting. Then it is believed that someone in the National Park Service decided not to leave this particular tablet mounting empty, even if it meant putting the wrong tablet (the faulty Cleburne's Division tablet) on the mounting.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 13, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2. submitted on July 31, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 1, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.