Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lucketts in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Wayne’s Crossing

 
 
Wayne’s Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 30, 2007
1. Wayne’s Crossing Marker
Inscription. Three miles southeast, at Noland’s Ferry, “Mad Anthony” Wayne, on his way to join Lafayette, crossed the Potomac River, May 31, 1781. He passed through Leesburg June 3, and joined Lafayette near the Rapidan River, June 18.
 
Erected 1931 by the Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number F-5.)
 
Location. 39° 12.741′ N, 77° 32.128′ W. Marker is in Lucketts, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is on James Monroe Highway (U.S. 15) near Stumptown Road and Lucketts Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. It is next to the Elementary School at Lucketts Community Park. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20176, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Catoctin Rural Historic District (here, next to this marker); Potomac Crossings (approx. half a mile away); Temple Hall Farm Regional Park's Role in Preserving (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Creation of Temple Hall Farm Regional Park (approx. 2.3 miles away); Temple Hall (approx. 2.3 miles away); Lee Crosses Into Maryland
F-5 and F-27 Markers Side By Side image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 30, 2007
2. F-5 and F-27 Markers Side By Side
(approx. 3.3 miles away); Early Crosses At White's Ford (approx. 3.3 miles away); Taylorstown (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lucketts.
 
More about this marker. This and the other marker are turned to face the roadway, so they are difficult to see until you are upon them.

This marker was originally erected near the Maryland State line, about 4½ road miles north. Noland’s Ferry is about 3 miles southeast from there, it is 3½ miles northeast from the marker’s current location.
 
Also see . . .
1. General “Mad” Anthony Wayne (1745–1796). (Submitted on May 2, 2007.)
2. Lafayette | French Soldier & Statesman (1757–1834). (Submitted on May 2, 2007.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Noland’s Ferry
Not mentioned on the marker, Noland’s Ferry was also used to convey 5,000 British prisoners captured at Saratoga in 1778 to holding areas in Virginia. In addition to use during the Revolutionary War, Noland’s Ferry was used during the American Civil War by both armies, particularly during the Antietam campaign.
   
Road to Noland’s Ferry image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 16, 2007
3. Road to Noland’s Ferry
The site of Noland’s Ferry is now on private land. The original road can be reached by turning East at the stop light just North of the marker, onto Lucketts Road (Route 662). After roughly four miles turn left onto Nolands Ferry Road.
— Submitted June 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

 
Additional keywords. General Lafayette, Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette. General Anthony Wayne.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,347 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 2, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on June 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement