New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
General Philip Henry Sheridan
Sheridan was born on March 6, 1831, and enrolled at the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1848. He graduated in 1853, and was appointed brevet 2nd lieutenant in the 1st Infantry. After rising to the rank of captain in 1861, Sheridan was appointed chief quartermaster and commissary of the army in southwestern Missouri. After difficult, but effective, quartermaster work in the Mississippi campaign of 1862, Sheridan was named colonel of the 2nd Michigan Cavalry.
The success of Sheridan’s 1862-63 campaign led General Grant to place him in charge of the cavalry of the Army of the Potomac, and then the Army of the Shendandoah. Sheridan’s most storied victory of this period was the battle of Cedar Creek in the Shenandoah Valley. His heroic acts on October 19, 1864 were immortalized in Thomas Buchanan Read’s poem, Sheridan’s Ride.
In 1865, Sheridan’s bold military tactics achieved victory over General Pickett at Five Forks, Virginia, and at the war’s end,
In 1924, the General Sheridan Memorial Committee was organized by John B. Trainer, former secretary of the Armory Board of New York City. The committee raised $6,000 through public subscription to erect the statue in Christopher Park. The statue was dedicated in elaborate ceremonies on October 19, 1936, coinciding with the 72nd anniversary of the Cedar Creek victory. A time capsule, including the names of all contributors, was sealed at the base of the statue. Italian-born sculptor Joseph Pollia, who created the statue of Sheridan, received numerous public commissions, and in 1926, also sculpted the World War I Doughboy figure known as My Buddy or the Richmond Hill War Memorial, which stands in Forest Park, Queens.
Although many images of the general show
In 2000, the City Parks Foundation Monuments Conservation Program conserved the sculpture. Funding for the project came through numerous contributions in a campaign spearheaded by Robert W. Lord, a descendant of four Civil War soldiers for the Union. Additional matching funds from the American Express Company, the Florence Gould Foundation, and the Samuel H. Kress Foundation made the project possible. On October 19, 2000, the statue was rededicated in a ceremony that recalled the original dedication, and a time capsule of new contributors was buried near the base of the monument.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Location. 40° 44.017′ N, 74° 0.131′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Christopher Street near 7th Avenue South, on the left when traveling Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 53 Christopher Street, New York NY 10014, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gay Liberation Monument (a few steps from this marker); Stonewall Inn (a few steps from this marker); Ephraim Ellsworth and the New York Fire Zouaves (within shouting distance of this marker); Christopher Park (within shouting distance of this marker); 27 Christopher Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edwin Arlington Robinson (about 300 feet away); Thomas Paine Death House (about 400 feet away); Hank Greenberg (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
More about this marker. The marker and monument are in the middle of Christopher Park, which is part of both Stonewall National Monument and Sheridan Square.
Also see . . . Civil War Soldiers March into Christopher Park (The Daily Plant, October 20, 2000). Yesterday, Parks celebrated the rededication of one of New York City’s great statues, of General Philip Henry Sheridan. The sculpture, located in Christopher Park, honors the distinguished Civil War cavalry commander for whom the surrounding square was named in (Submitted on October 14, 2016.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 14, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.