Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glastonbury in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Glastonbury

 
 
Glastonbury Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
1. Glastonbury Marker
Inscription.
Glastonbury
Formerly part of Wethersfield, the town was named for Glastonbury in England. Its thirty four original farms, running from the River three miles east “into the wilderness,” were the first officially surveyed by Connecticut Colony, 1639-40. In 1673 an additional five-mile tract (Eastbury) was purchased from the Indians. By Act of the General Court, Glastonbury became an independent town in 1693. Town meetings and selectmen governed until voters adopted council-manager government in 1959.

The home of Glastonbury's first minister, the Reverend Timothy Stevens, stands one mile south of this Green. The birthplace of Gideon Welles, Secretary of the Navy under President Lincoln, stands to the north on Hebron Avenue.

(back)
Glastonbury made gunpowder for the Revolution. The factory exploded in 1777, but was soon rebuilt. Water powered mills produced cotton, wool, and paper. In the 18th and 19th centuries many ships were built here. In 1842, J. B. Williams began the first shaving soap manufacturing company in America. Williams soap, Pratt’s anchors, Roser's pigskin, Hale's peaches, and Arbor Acres chickens became well-known Glastonbury products.

Local women submitted America's first anti-slavery petition to Congress in 1840. Among early champions of women's
Glastonbury Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
2. Glastonbury Marker
( back )
rights were Glastonbury's Smith Sisters.

Erected by the Town of Glastonbury
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1976

 
Erected 1976 by the Town of Glastonbury and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 42.706′ N, 72° 36.485′ W. Marker is in Glastonbury, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is on Main Street near Hebron Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in the Center Green. Marker is in this post office area: Glastonbury CT 06033, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glastonbury Korean War Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Glastonbury Revolutionary War Monument (approx. ¾ mile away); John Lee Levitow (approx. ¾ mile away); Glastonbury Soldiers Monument (approx. ¾ mile away); Glastonbury Vietnam Conflict Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Glastonbury War II Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Glastonbury World War I Monument (approx. ¾ mile away); Glastonbury War II Monument (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glastonbury.
 
Also see . . .
1. Glastonbury Town Website. (Submitted on October 18, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Glastonbury, Connecticut on Wikipedia
Glastonbury Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
3. Glastonbury Marker
. (Submitted on October 18, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 18, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement