Near Fort Oglethorpe in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
8th Wisconsin Battery
—Davis’ Division —
3rd Brigade, 1st Division,
Text from back side of Monument:
This battery, 1st Lieutenant John D. McLean commanding, occupied this position from 11:00 A.M., September 19th, till about 9:00 A.M., September 20, 1863, when it changed position to rear of Brannan's Division, remaining there until the enemy's forces broke the Federal lines about 11:30 A.M. It then moved to a position with other batteries on a ridge west of the road at McFarland's Gap.
Erected 1895 by State of Wisconsin. (Marker Number MT-1073.)
Location. 34° 54.417′ N, 85° 16.336′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Glenn-Viniard Road north of Wilder Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. This marker is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield, a short distance off a park roadway (Google maps show road as Vittitoe-Chickamauga Road, NPS map show road as Glenn-Viniard Road), between the roadway and a nearby parking lot, south of the Wilder Tower. According to the location information provided
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named 8th Wisconsin Battery (here, next to this marker); Wilder´s Defense (within shouting distance of this marker); 21st Michigan Infantry Detachments (within shouting distance of this marker); 123rd Illinois Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 2nd Michigan Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilder Lightning Brigade Mounted Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Chicago Board of Trade Battery (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is, “6' x 6' at the base and 15'8" high, this is a smooth-faced obelisk with four narrow rock-faced bands. From base, obelisk has raised lettering, crossed bronze cannons & wreath, state seal, and five-pointed star in relief."
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on October 19, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 19, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.