Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ypsilanti in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Manufacturing History

at the Corner of Norris & Forest

 
 
Manufacturing History at the Corner of Norris & Forest Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 19, 2016
1. Manufacturing History at the Corner of Norris & Forest Marker
Inscription.
Manufacturing here spanned most of the 20th Century,
reflecting the changing economy in Ypsilanti and in America. In 1907 the Ypsilanti Hay Press Company first built a factory here by the Huron River and the railroad tracks to make hay-presses and tractors. Between 1919 and 1964 the site grew to be Central Specialties Company's 28-acre metal foundry complex, producing items like piston-rings and Sears power tools. After the site's 19 buildings were sold to Motor Wheel Corporation in 1964, automotive brake drums and rotors were produced here until closing in 1997. Today's Arbor Brewing Company Microbrewery occupies a Central Specialty / Motor Wheel office building.
 
Erected by Motorcities National Heritage Area, National Park Service; Huron River Watershed Council; Ypsilanti Convention & Visitors Bureau.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the MotorCities National Heritage Area marker series.
 
Location. 42° 15.007′ N, 83° 36.606′ W. Marker is in Ypsilanti, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Norris Street and East Forest Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Norris Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 720 Norris Street, Ypsilanti MI 48198, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Upper left image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 19, 2016
2. Upper left image
Drawing of the Ypsilanti Hay Press factory, 1909. The factory made products for the agricultural lifestyle of the time, including hay-presses and early gasoline tractors. Image courtesy of the Ypsilanti Historical Society.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan Central Freighthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ypsilanti Civil War Memorial (approx. mile away); The Last Hudson Dealership (approx. mile away); The Oliver House (approx. mile away); The Real McCoy (approx. mile away); Michigan Central Railroad Gardens (approx. mile away); Michigan Central Railroad Depot (approx. mile away); The Thompson Building (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ypsilanti.
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & Commerce
 
Lower left image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 19, 2016
3. Lower left image
Ypsilanti Hay Press Company, 1916. Photo courtesy of the Ypsilanti Historical Society.
Middle image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 19, 2016
4. Middle image
Central Specialties' complex, looking west along Forest Avenue, 1925. By this time, the facility had grown to produce metal products for industry. Photo courtesy of the Ypsilanti Historical Society.
Upper right image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 19, 2016
5. Upper right image
Lower right image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 19, 2016
6. Lower right image
Arbor Brewing Company with the Manufacturing History at the Corner of Norris & Forest Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 19, 2016
7. Arbor Brewing Company with the Manufacturing History at the Corner of Norris & Forest Marker
Manufacturing History at the Corner of Norris & Forest image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 19, 2016
8. Manufacturing History at the Corner of Norris & Forest
View west across Norris Street at the former factory complex.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 20, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement